Father Martin Keating wrote to France and ordered the statue in August, 1924, hoping that it would arrive in time for the dedication of the “new” church and the renaming of the parish. However, it was over two years later, in March of 1927 that the statue reached San Francisco. When the crate was opened it contained an image of St. Therese “seated in a chair” and our bishop gave instructions to send the statue on to South Carolina.
About four months later the correct statue had arrived in New York and began its journey to San Francisco via the Panama Canal. The terra-cotta statue was installed in the exterior front niche above the “new” church in late 1927. It stands five feet seven inches. The seals indicate that it was cast in 1923, prior to the canonization of St. Therese and her designation as our patroness.